Receipt printing is an integral part of any retail or hospitality business, helping complete a transaction. Receipts serve as proof of transactions and provide essential information for record-keeping and accounting purposes. Additionally, receipts play an essential role in customer service, allowing customers to track their purchases and aiding in the return/exchange of any purchased product. Despite the popularity of digital payment methods, wherein e-receipts have popularised, paper receipts are still an integral component in several businesses.
Previously, receipts were mostly handwritten. But, the advent of printing technology introduced receipt printers that made the receipt printing process accurate, affordable, and unlikely to be doctored. These robust devices are an essential hardware component of a point of sale (POS) system; hence, picking the right device is going to be a wise long-term investment.
What is a Receipt Printer?
For small business owners, choosing the right point of sale (POS) hardware components is a rewarding yet challenging process.
As the name suggests, receipt printers are electronic devices used specifically to print receipts, for example, Epson TMT88VI Thermal Direct Receipt Printer. These devices are programmed to provide quick and accurate printing with low downtime and can perfectly support the seamless functioning of a point of sale (POS) system. All you need to do is, ensure that you pick a reliable and fast device to ensure that you provide excellent customer service.
Did you know that “the global receipt printers’ market was valued at USD 2548.4 million in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 3528.1 million by the end of 2027, growing at a CAGR of 4.8 per cent during 2021-27”?
If you are looking for the best receipt printer for sale, ensure that you purchase the device that has legible print quality, offers high-resolution prints, and comes with a minimum of 3-5 years of durability. While there are receipt printers that print monochromatic receipts, there are coloured printers too. At the same time, there are receipt printers designed to print multiple copies of a single receipt simultaneously.
Different Types of Receipt Printers
Since different receipt printers work on different printing technology, their ability to withstand different environmental conditions varies. Primarily, here are two types of receipt printers that are highly popular.
1. Dot Matrix/Impact Receipt Printer : Dot matrix receipt printers are the oldest and the most popular types of receipt printers that work on a technology similar to typewriters, for example, the Epson TM-U220B Dot Matrix Receipt Printer and Epson TM-U220 Ethernet Interface with Auto cutter. Even though these devices aren’t used for commercial purposes because of their low-resolution prints, they are still used for receipt printing.
The printhead of these devices comes with a series of pins lined on it that moves back and forth on the paper rolls, creating prints by the force of impact. Since hammering the printing ribbon against the produced prints, dot matrix receipt printers are also called impact printers.
These devices are designed to print multiple copies of a single receipt by placing carbon paper between the paper rolls. Ideally, the printheads come with about 9 to 24 pins, the higher the number of prints, the better the print resolution and clarity.
Dot matrix receipt printers can print in black and red colours, depending on the colour of the ribbon. Also, depending on the number of pins, these devices can print graphics other than simple texts and numbers.
Dot matrix receipt printers are cost-effective, and the prints do not get affected by temperature variations, making them perfect for a kitchen or outdoor usage. However, the biggest drawback of these printers is that they make a lot of noise while printing.
2. Thermal Receipt Printer : Thermal printing technology is the most popular commercial printing technology, used in different industries, for example, Epson TM T82III Thermal Receipt Printer and Star TSP143III LAN Thermal Receipt Printer.
These printers function on a heat mechanism, which means the devices work by applying a heated element to a heat-sensitive paper. Since the paper is chemically treated to react to heat, the heat darkens the paper upon making contact. The element moves across the paper creating letters, numbers, and images.
Thermal receipt printers are cost-effective as they do not require any moving parts like ink ribbons or toners.
However, the biggest drawback of these devices is that the durability of these prints is low. Besides, since the paper is heat-sensitive, exposure to heat and light can damage the print. Also, the printing paper mostly darkens with time, making the print illegible.
In this fast-forward world, owning a device that is compact and can be carried easily can come in handy. This is where you require a portable receipt printer. This blog discusses
- portable receipt printers,
- how to choose the perfect device for your business needs, and
- the bestselling portable receipt printers in Australia.
Let’s dive in!
What is a Portable Receipt Printer?
A portable receipt printer as the name suggests, is a small and lightweight device designed to print receipts on the go. Usually, these devices are battery-operated and can be easily carried in a bag or even in your pocket. Portable printers, also known as mobile receipt printers, for example, Bixolon SPP-R300 Bluetooth Mobile Printer and Citizen CMP-20II Bluetooth MOB Printer NO MSR iOS Android are used by businesses that require printing receipts for customers while away from their main location. Food truck business owners, delivery drivers, or field service technicians usually use a portable receipt printer.
Portable receipt printers can usually be connected to a mobile device or a computer via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or USB, making the process of printing receipts from different devices easy. Usually, thermal printing technology is used to produce high-quality and durable prints. Portable receipt printers are equipped with features like printing photos, texts, expiration time and date, logos, and QR codes and barcodes.
The availability of an array of portable receipt printers makes it challenging to choose the right device. To purchase the right device, consider the
- Print Size: Portable receipt prints are known for their mobility and lightweight. Therefore, before picking the right device, consider where you would be using the device and placing it when not in use, and on the road. The size of your portable receipt printer needs to be small enough to fit into your pocket or backpack and is lightweight.
- Connectivity and Compatibility: Other than the size of the device, another crucial factor that you need to consider is the compatibility the device provides with devices like smartphones, laptops, and computers. Albeit, most devices in today’s world can be connected via Wi-Fi, and support iOS, Android, and Windows systems, not all of them can be connected to a phone, laptop, or computer. Some are just compatible with mobile phones. Purchasing a device that is compatible with different systems is crucial as it is going to be a long-term investment.
- Functions: Even though printer manufacturers are striving to keep multiple functions of a receipt printer intact considering their small size, the possibility of some functions getting removed is inevitable. Hence, choosing the wrong printer can lead to unnecessary inconvenience and cost. Therefore, while purchasing a portable receipt printer, you need to check for the features it offers. If you require printing images, purchasing a QR printer isn’t the right option for you. You should also consider features like inkless vs. ink, monochrome vs. coloured, direct printing vs. indirect printing, print content, applicable printing surfaces, maximum font size, and the like while purchasing your device.
- Power Supply: Since portable printers are battery-operated, you can either use them when unplugged as well as when charging. That said, not all batteries offer the same performance. Therefore, while purchasing a portable receipt printer, you need to check the duration for which the battery lasts once fully charged.
- Easy Usage: Since portable printers are designed particularly for people on the go, having a troubleshooting manual or tech support team can hardly be available within reach. Therefore, functions like inserting an ink cartridge or changing printing paper, connecting to a device, editing printing content, or changing the settings on the app to battery charging need to be simpler.
- Budget: Like the purchase of any other device, considering the budget is an essential factor when purchasing a portable receipt printer. The device you pick needs to be cost-effective along with supporting all the features necessary for your daily business operations.
Best Portable Printers for Receipt Printing
- Star SM-T300I Mobile MFI Receipt Printer: This revolutionary portable bluetooth scanner printer is compatible with all operating systems and offers a reliable and quick printing speed of 75mm per second, an intuitive LCD, and an optional magnetic stripe reader.
- Citizen CMP-20II Bluetooth MOB Printer No MSR iOS Android: This receipt printer features a high capacity 2-inch diameter media roll and comes with long life Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries.
- Citizen CMP-30 Portable Wi-Fi Printer: This 3-inch portable thermal printer offers paper drop-in style, USB and RS232 interface standard, and comes with Lithium Ion rechargeable battery.
- Star MPOS-Black with Barcode Scanner: This ultra-compact portable printer is 58mm wide and has the capacity to print at a speed of 100mm/second. Offering classic Bluetooth connectivity, this device is compatible with Android, iOS, Linux, and Windows devices.
- Bixolon SPP-R410 4” Portable Direct Thermal Printer: Compatible with mobile devices including iPhone, iPad, and Android, this printer is 4 inches in size and comes with a long-lasting battery life. It offers a fast printing speed of up to 90mm/second.
Portable receipt printers are convenient and practical tools for any business that requires printing receipts on the go.
If you are looking for quality portable receipt printers online, POS Sales Australia is your go-to option. We are a leading online reseller of premium point of sale (POS) hardware, consumables, accessories, and bundles, all available at competitive prices. Browse through our selection of portable receipt printers and purchase the perfect device for your business.
For any inquiries, reach out to us! Contact our POS expert @ 1300 026 062